15 December 2008

The best (and busiest) time of the year

The best time of the year also means the busiest time of the year! While others are clearing their annual leave, or strolling in the malls doing their Christmas shopping or simply lazing in front of the idiot box, my schedule has been packed ever since Dec rolled along. It’s relentless but oddly there’s no sign of frenzy or the unwelcome eye bags. I guess what I mean to say is that although I’m busy, there’s still time to smell the flowers and appreciate life.

The vital lesson I’ve learnt is to consciously make time for God and the people closest to you. Easier said than done but it’s the only guarantee of staying sane in the maze of the typical urban schedule.                                                                                                     

Here are some updates on what my fingers have been dabbling with:

  • Meeting up with people! Friends are home for the holidays. Our home has been coined mamak No.2 and our kitchen has fully utilized to cook up a storm for privilege guests. Terence usually the chef – will share some fabulous recipes soon!  
  • Splattered Paint: Year-end events are always lots of fun. We face painted 100 kids at our last event. This weekend we’d be busy dolling up a venue for the birthday of a special one year old.
  • Gearing up for the start of Rangers next year. I’d be embarking on some new challenges in hope to gain a greater perspective of what it means to be a servant leader.
  • Christmas gifts: Of course I’m not going to tell you what it is! All I can say is that we’ve been creatively ambitious with out gifts this year.
  • Getting ready to make our mark in Vietnam – yes! We’re flying again, this time to Hanoi for another backpacking adventure. Can’t wait to roam the streets, experience Christmas the Vietnam style, meet the locals, indulge in the street food and hike in the mountains of Sapa!

2009 is going to be a wild ride! What a journey it has been for 2008. I wouldn't have it otherwise despite the rough edges. I’d be turning a year wiser tomorrow (yay! to the extra wisdom and urgh to the change in numeric) and my journal will yet again be filled with pages of thanksgiving and milestones of life. I’m quite sure I’d dig up my dust filled journal 20 years from now and thank myself for appreciating life in writing.  

No comments: